Pages

19 May 2010

CF Foundations, day 6, complete!

I've survived the class, no worse for wear. Mostly.

Much of my pain is easily "explained" by a few things:
  • Though I can run (and "easily" pass the Navy standards, which doesn't mean much), I certainly am not in shape because of it; in fact, my legs have lot less strength than I thought they did, specifically in explosive moves and stamina.
  • Though I can stretch decently (again, Navy minimums), I'm in fact a lot less flexible than I gave myself credit for.
  • No surprise, but my upper-body strength is lacking. A lot. I need help doing ring-dips, pull-ups, and I'm certain I'll be scaling the WODs a bit to be able to continue for a reasonable time or number of reps.
Though I hurt, it's mostly soreness. In fact, I haven't had any neck problems since last week, which is a very good thing. I'm not certain if it was a random tweak, bad form, or what, but it hasn't come back despite some shoulder work. No, I'm sore mostly in my legs right now, though my lower back feels it a bit, too.

Today's workout was dead lifts and ring-dips. I was okay on the dead lifts (on a light weight), but the dips really suffered.

I must admit I'm embarrassed by needing as much assistance as I do (in the form of straps or light weights). I believe nobody there judges me, but there's always that moment where somebody 30-40# lighter uses no bands, heavier weights, and pumping out more, faster. Competition is a great motivator, no doubt about it.

One thing Chad (my instructor) said in the first class that rang true: his best performance on his semi-annual fitness test was in boot camp. After that, times and performance slowly declined. Though I can't claim CF is the answer, it certainly raises the issue that perhaps the military's physical training regiments could be tuned better.

I gotta say my initial reaction to my six classes of CF is good: the focus is on overall strength, symmetric and balanced. I'm certainly not training to be a modeling body builder, nor am I trying to "work on my shoulders" (especially since I feel it's obvious my legs are not as "decent" as I thought they were). My previous workout regiments (if you can call them that) lacked intensity, balance, or both.

According to my methods (posted on May 5th), I'm starting phase 3:
  1. Improve my diet. I've modified it, leaning more towards proteins and fruits, controlling carbs. Not eliminating them, just being aware of when and how much. (Note: one of the instructors at PCF has a pseudo-CSA-like deal with local farmers and non-processed meats and dairy. I'll look at the prices and will likely get into some of it. I'll post more as I know more.)
  2. Start the program. Foundations class, done.
  3. Stay the program. Three times per week. Transitioning to normal WODs is a hurdle for me.
  4. Stay the program, after leaving Potomac CrossFit and the DC area.
  5. Stay the program, long term, after the Navy. (There's life after the Navy?)
 Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment